If there’s one food I absolutely love, it’s donuts… or maybe you prefer doughnut? I can’t ever decide which spelling to use! But what I can decide on is how much I love the mix of Nutella and coconut in this homemade donut recipe. I find this to be a really great beginner recipe for making donuts at home and hope you do, too!
True, these donuts are not technically the traditional donuts in the heavily fried sense of the word. However, with a proper greasing of organic butter or coconut oil, they have just enough of a fried exterior to satisfy a donut craving and appease the grown up side of the brain that wants to eat more wholesome foods. Not to mention that this donut recipe is quite easy to follow!
Coconut and Nutella Donut Recipe
- Donut maker
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic, light brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1 egg large
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup half & half (or whole milk)
- coconut oil
- Unsweetened, shredded coconut
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, on medium speed, beat together the cane sugar, light-brown sugar, Nutella and butter until well blended, about 20 seconds. Stir in egg and vanilla. Working in three separate batches, alternate adding the flour mixture and the half & half, starting and stopping with the half and half. Mix and fold until just combined.
- Prepare donuts according to your donut maker’s instructions, using melted coconut oil to thoroughly grease the surface before adding the dough.
- Alternatively… Preheat oven to 400F. Use coconut oil to grease a donut pan. Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean, about 7 – 9 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes, then run a butter knife around edges to loosen and invert onto wire rack and allow to cool completely.
This donut recipe is the perfect simple dessert if you’re in the mood to try something new… or just another great use for the jar of Nutella in your pantry!
So what do you think of this Nutella and coconut donut recipe? I hope you love it!
You might also enjoy:
Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Tart Recipe
I love the flavor of pumpkin in other things, but I’ve just never been a fan of the classic pumpkin pie. But once you add a little Nutella to the situation… that’s a different story! Such is the case with this latest recipe I’m sharing here: A Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Tart. Oh ya, now we’re talkin’.