I’m always on the lookout for new cocktails to share with you guys, especially if it’s a twist on a classic. While I’m usually a whiskey drinker, I’ve found myself loving mezcal more and more lately. Must be the smokiness! I’ve found that mezcal and tequila pair quite nicely with those true tastes of fall: ginger and apple cider. Our resident recipe guru Claire whipped up this Spiced Mezcal Apple Cider cocktail and added something a little bit surprising… a dash of chili powder and ginger on the rim!
It’s sort of funny how something so simple as a rimmed glass can make everything feel a bit fancier. I love this recipe because it’s super easy to make in large quantities for my next gathering or to just make a couple for me and Sean as we snuggle on the couch.
Spiced Mezcal Apple Cider Cocktail
- 1/2 ounce mezcal
- 1 ounce tequila
- 3 ounces apple cider
- 4 ounces ginger ale
- 1 apple sliced into thin wedges and tossed with 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Lime wedges
Sweet and spicy rimming salt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a small bowl, combine spices for the salt rim. Mix well with a fork and set aside. Wet the rim of the glass with a lime wedge and dip glass into the bowl of salt bowl to coat the rim. Place two or three apple slices into the glass and add ice.
- In a cocktail shaker, combine ice, mezcal, tequila, and apple cider. Shake well and strain into the rimmed glass. Top off the drink with ginger ale and extra apple slices or ginger slices.
How delicious do these look? Let us know if you’re going to give this drink recipe a try!
Photography and styling by Jojotastic, assisted by Gwen McKenzie. Recipe developed by Claire McAleese for Jojotastic.
Get more recipes here!