Disclosure: This post is sponsored by American Express. All opinions are my own and always will be! Thanks for supporting content that keeps Jojotastic going.
Here in Seattle, it is most definitely soup weather. I usually make a batch of soup on Sundays and then eat it for lunch during the week. It’s the perfect way to have a quick, easy, and hearty lunch on the go. I also switch up which recipe I use on a weekly basis. Today I tried my hand at this Spiced Sweet Potato Soup, a delicious recipe created by American Express in partnership with Buzzfeed. I love how easy the recipe is, plus it’s served up in pumpkin bowls, which will look so festive for my upcoming Friendsgiving dinner!
Cozy Spiced Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Friendsgiving is sort of a big deal to me, especially because my family lives on the other side of the country. I love gathering in my new home with my closest friends and sharing a meal. Everyone brings their own dish to share. Some years we have dress themes (for example, once we had a pajama party for Friendsgiving), but usually we just enjoy each others’ company.
I’ve been using the American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card for a while now and I’m really loving all of the perks, including 3% cash back on grocery, 2% cash back on gas and at department stores, and 1% cash back on everything else. During the holidays, all that cash back is really going to add up, and it’s sort of inspiring me to book an epic vacation once the holidays are over! All of these perks of being a Blue Cash Everyday Card Member, and many more, add up, making it the ideal card for me as a new homeowner, small business owner, and traveler.
Be sure to check out the awesome Buzzfeed video for this recipe and inspiration for many more epic holiday entertaining — click here!
Spiced Sweet Potato Soup Recipe Served in Real Pumpkin Bowls
- Immersion hand blender
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion small
- 4 cups sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2.5 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pie pumpkins small
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°F/150°C
- Cut off the top of the pumpkin and remove the seeds and stringy insides. Rinse the seeds. Toss the seeds with olive oil, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Transfer to a baking sheet and toast for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally until brown and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat and add olive oil and onion. Sauté 2-3 minutes until soft. Add diced sweet potato, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion hand blender, puree the soup until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle the soup into the pumpkins. Garnish with yogurt, toasted pumpkin seeds, and cilantro. Enjoy!
We’ve got one more post coming up next week in partnership with American Express + be sure to check out our previous posts: