I’m one of those people who prefers to celebrate Christmas after Thanksgiving. I’m not really sure why, but I think some of it goes back to when I used to work for Nordstrom, a company that doesn’t display their Christmas decor until the day after Thanksgiving as a tradition. I always understood that sentiment and have incorporated it into how I celebrate the season.
That being said… when it’s time to celebrate Christmas… it’s ON. I’m so excited to share this Hot Buttered Rum cocktail with you guys. It’s the perfect sipper for entertaining because it covers all the bases, especially for all those picky eaters and people with allergies because it’s dairy free and gluten free! It’s also just a really lovely, cozy cocktail if you’re snuggling with your boo on the couch and watching Love Actually.
Gluten-Free Hot Buttered Rum with Clarified Butter
- 5-7 ounces boiling water
- 1-2 ounces rum
- 8 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Melt clarified butter in a medium sauce pan on low heat. Once melted, add sugar and maple syrup. Keep stirring and keep heat just below boiling (medium to medium-low heat), continuously stir for 5-7 minutes. Sugar should turn golden brown, then add spices and salt. Continue stirring for about 3-5 minutes.
- Let mixture cool for about 3 minutes, stirring will help this process. Transfer to a food processor or bullet-style mixer to ensure proper emulsification of sugar and butter. Place the mixture in the fridge for about an hour and then blend it one more time before transferring to a airtight container that can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 weeks or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- When making the cocktail, remove butter from fridge and place 1-2 tablespoons into a heat safe mug. Pour 6-8 ounces hot water over butter, mix well, and add rum.
This recipe is one of those that keeps really well, so you can make a batch of the hot butter mix ahead of your party and then just keep it on hand. It’s perfect for those last-minute gatherings!
So what do you think?? Will you be sipping on a hot buttered rum this holiday season? Let us know how our recipe works for you!
Photography and styling by Jojotastic. Recipe developed by Claire McAleese for Jojotastic.
Get more recipes here!