Confession: I don’t know what this cocktail recipe tastes like with the whiskey. The truth is that I’m attempting to go the entire month of January without drinking (aka Drynuary), so I could only taste test this one as a mocktail! Oops… but let’s be real here, whiskey just makes everything better. I knew I wanted to share a healthy cocktail with you guys this month, so we combined the delicious citrus flavor of pomelo with the effervescence and deliciously sour taste of kombucha. Even if you’re taking the month off from booze, this recipe is heavenly.
I don’t really know what compelled me to try this Drynuary thing… maybe because I can’t remember the last time I went more than a week without drinking? So you can imagine how tough it was to shoot this recipe! All of the citrus that’s in season is so perfect for cocktails.
The kombucha adds a certain fermented flavor and fizziness to the tart pomelo juice. It’s simply refreshing! Also, I really like pulp, but if you’re not into that, use a fine mesh strainer to strain it before you make your drink.
Kombucha Cocktail with Pomelo + Sage
- 4-6 ounces kombucha (we used Brew Dr. Clear Mind Kombucha)
- 3 ounces fresh squeezed pomelo juice with pulp
- 1-3 fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon rose water
- 1-2 ounces whiskey (we used Tin Cup Whiskey)
- Juice one or two pomelos, straining with a fine mesh strainer to ensure seed and pulp removal. Combine rose water, whiskey, sage and pomelo juice into a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice.
- Shake well and strain into a glass of your choice. Top off with kombucha, a slice of lemon, and sprig of sage.
So what do you think? Let us know if you try this kombucha cocktail with or without the booze! We hope you enjoy!!
Photography and styling by Jojotastic. Recipe developed by Claire McAleese for Jojotastic.
Get more recipes here!