Have you guys ever wondered why I never share recipes with pineapple? It’s because I’m allergic! How unfortunate, huh. Often, I swap in mango so that I can still get that tropical cocktail vibe, but without getting sick. Lately I’ve been serving up a really simple, but statement-making cocktail at home: The Mango Basil Bourbon Smash! Smash cocktails are so easy to make and can be made with pretty much any flavor combination. I tend to love bourbon the best of all liquors for it’s delicious vanilla flavor — which just happens to pair really nicely with sweet mango and aromatic basil.
Now that my leg has healed a bit, I’m able to entertain more and more. Our favorite thing to do is have an impromptu BBQ on the deck, surrounded by wiener dogs, cheese plates, and good friends. This bourbon smash is so easy to make that I find I’m not pulled away from the gathering at all, which is always nice for a hostess.
And while we’re talking about entertaining, learn how to make this wildflower tote floral arrangement here!
I have finally figured out how to make my homegrown basil happy, which essentially means I’ve got wayyy too much of it in the garden. This cocktail is a damn good use for all that extra basil!
Mango Basil Bourbon Smash
- small handful of fresh mango very ripe
- 5 basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bourbon (or more to taste!)
- seltzer water
- Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and cut mango into small chunks. Combine basil, mango, and vanilla extract in your cocktail glass. Smash with a muddler until all of the ingredients are combined and have released their juices. Add the bourbon and ice. Pour seltzer water over the top to fill glass, stirring gently to combine.
- Garnish with blackberries (cuz they are my favorite).
Shop the post:
photography, styling & recipe by Jojotastic. Get more recipes here!