Finishing our backyard is basically like our gateway drug into entertaining soooo much more than ever before in #mytinybungalow. Since completing the renovation, we’ve had dinner outside nearly every night and most of the time we have guests joining us! It’s also feeling wayyy more summery in Seattle — which basically means all I want is to have cut loose, kick back, and have some fun (aka no more work, please). Summer is also just the best time for cocktails, especially a shandy, ya know what I mean? I’ve actually ALWAYS wanted to do a fancy shandy recipe here on the blog and now we finally have one! Meet the lemon balm and grapefruit shandy, your new favorite drink for the impending summer months.
What do you think of this garnish? Is it too over-the-top? Sometimes I get carried away with myself and want epic, huge garnishes on all my drinks. I love how it looks with these gorgeous double-wall glasses, too.
Lemon Balm & Grapefruit Shandy
- 6 oz lite beer
- 3/4 oz lemon balm syrup (recipe below)
- 1/3 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- Soda water (optional)
Lemon balm syrup recipe (makes 1 cup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh lemon balm leaves
- Fill a tall glass with ice, syrup, grapefruit juice, and ice. Top with 6 ounces of lite beer and soda water (optional). Garnish with a lemon wedge and sprigs of lemon balm.
Lemon Balm Syrup Instructions
- Combine sugar, water, and lemon balm in saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is fully dissolved. Let simmer one minute, then remove from heat. Let steep one hour. Pour through a mesh strainer to remove leaves and store in cool place.
So what do you think?? Isn’t this the perfect drink for a hot summer day? Let us know what you think of this recipe!
Photography and styling by Jojotastic. Recipe developed by Raquel Roof for Jojotastic.
Get more recipes here!