How is it already the middle of October? I have a one track mind when it comes to the change in seasons… aka let the fall cocktail recipes commence! Truly, autumn and winter are my favorite seasons to shoot and share cocktails with you guys. All of the yummy spicy ingredients, like cinnamon and pumpkin spice, are perfect for this time of year and pair so nicely with booze. I find that my intake of smokey cocktails increases, too! I always love a good margarita recipe, so while we were brainstorming drinks to share this fall and holiday season, we immediately thought of a fall margarita. This sweet and savory cocktail is like a cozy fall day next to the fire!
Using the brûlée torch for this cocktail is one of the most satisfying things in life. And the combination of warmed sugar on citrus smells positively mouthwatering! While we were making these cocktails, it felt like we were baking something perfectly fall-inspired… but instead it’s a cocktail. It’s also a really easy, but impressive garnish for when you’re entertaining guests this fall. I also love how Rocky has combined so many incredible, complex flavors — but in a really easy-to-make drink with a nice tangy zip of cider. I feel like this is a drink you could order at a fancy bar. Plus, the smokey mezcal will warm your belly on a chilly fall night.
Tamarind Apple Cider Fall Margarita Recipe
- culinary torch
- margarita glasses (tons of options below!)
- cocktail shaker
- 1.5 oz silver tequila
- .5 oz mezcal
- .25 oz tamarind syrup (recipe below or you can buy it from Whole Foods or a specialty grocery store)
- .5 oz apple cider vinegar
- .5 oz triple sec
- .5 oz lemon and lime juice
- tajin for rimmed glass
- cinnamon for rimmed glass
- fresh orange slices
- star anise for garnish
- Remove the hard shell from the tamarind pods and discard. Over medium-high heat, combine 1 cup of water with 1 cup of sugar, whisking frequently. Add cleaned tamarind pods and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Once it’s cooled, strain with a mesh strainer and discard the solids. This mixture will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks in an airtight container.
- To make your fall margarita, combine the tajin and cinnamon on a shallow plate. Rub a lime wedge along the rim of the margarita glass and then place the wet edge in the mixed spices. Twist the glass a few times, making sure that the rimming mixture covers the entire edge.
- Next, fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Then, add silver tequila, tamarind syrup, apple cider vinegar, triple sec, and lemon and lime juices. Shake for 30 seconds, then double strain over ice into the margarita glass. Pour in the mezcal over the top.
- To make the brûléed orange garnish, slice the orange into 1/4″ thick rounds. Coat one side with sugar, then use the culinary torch to brown it. The sugar will caramelize and smell incredible! Once it’s toasted to your liking, gently place it on top of the cocktail and add 1 star anise for an aromatic touch.
The margarita glasses I used are from CB2, but sold out unfortunately. Here are some cute alternatives:
Are you ready for fall? Let us know what you think of our sweet and smoky fall margarita!! We hope you like it!
Looking for more fall inspired recipes? Try out these:
- Tahini Frangipane Apple Galette with Salted Honey Rose Cream
- Spiced Rye and Jam Cocktail Recipe
- Golden Sumac Kale Salad for Fall
- Spiced Mezcal Apple Cider Cocktail
- Aromatic Chai Hot Toddy