I’m not sure how we’ve already arrived at mid-October, but here we are! I wanted to share a recipe that felt decidedly autumnal and that can only mean one thing: pumpkin. Wanna know a secret? I don’t actually like pumpkin pie… I know, what?! I’m not sure why because I love creamy textures and I love the flavor of pumpkin in other things, but I’ve just never been a fan of the classic pumpkin pie. But once you add a little Nutella to the situation… that’s a different story! Such is the case with this latest recipe I’m sharing here: A Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Tart. Oh ya, now we’re talkin’.
I gave the traditional pumpkin pie a twist with a chocolate and hazelnut update. The rich, creamy pumpkin filling is so nice with the addition of a little chocolatey hazelnut swirl. And to reinforce the whole idea, I created a delicious chocolate-hazelnut crust, too! The swirl of Nutella becomes almost fudge-y when baked and the silky filling is the perfect contrast to the crisp crust. Plus, you can’t beat a pairing like pumpkin Nutella for serving all those fall and holiday guests!
Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Tart Recipe
- 9 oz chocolate wafer cookies (1 package of Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers)
- 3 oz hazelnuts roasted
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- 15 oz pumpkin puree (1 can)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves)
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- whipped cream
- hazelnuts roasted and roughly chopped
Make the crust
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- In a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts a few times until they are the consistency of course crumbs. Add in the cookies, sugar, and salt and pulse again until mixture is a fine crumb consistency. Add in the butter and pulse mixture until it starts to come together in a large clump.
- Add crust mixture to a 12 inch round fluted tart pan with removable bottom and press evenly and firmly on the bottom and up the sides, using a round measuring cup or glass to even out the sides. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until crisp. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
MAKE THE FILLING
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, eggs, sugars, vanilla, half and half, pumpkin pie spice, and salt until combined. Set aside.
- Add the Nutella to a glass heat-proof measuring cup or bowl and melt in the microwave for about 10 second increments until the consistency is drizzle-able.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the cooled tart shell and jiggle the tart gently to smooth out the surface. Using a spoon, add teaspoon-sized dollops of the Nutella all over the surface of the tart. Using a wooden skewer or tip of a knife, swirl the Nutella with the pumpkin filling, to create a marbled effect.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until filing is just set. The pumpkin filling should no longer look glossy and should wiggle just a little in the very center when you give the pan a little shake.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving. Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of chopped hazelnuts, if you’d like.
This pumpkin Nutella swirl tart is the perfect treat to bring to a Halloween party, an end to a great autumn-themed dinner party with your friends, or even a showstopper of a dessert at Thanksgiving! Or… if you have a sweet tooth like me, this pumpkin Nutella swirl tart makes for a delightful breakfast with your morning coffee. (My little sister is frequently one of my taste-testers and that’s exactly what she did with this particular recipe!)
Shop the post:
So what do you think of this pumpkin and nutella swirl tart recipe?? We hope you love it!
You might also enjoy these recipes:
Cinnamon Sugar Spiced Crumble Apple Pie Recipe
Meet your new favorite dessert: apple crumble pie. This crumble apple pie is easy and always a hit; with a few fun twists, this recipe will quickly become an annual go-to.
THE BEST PEACH PIE RECIPE (WITH THYME & HONEY)
Summer is here and the stone fruits are soon to follow! *celebration emoji* This month, I am sharing a recipe that has a special place in my kitchen: PIE! The best peach pie recipe, to be specific. This homemade peach pie combines the classic flavors of peach pie with a fun, herbaceous twist that’s just tooooo good.