Is there anything better than the perfect chocolate chip cookie? The only appropriate answer to that question is HELL NO. Thanks to our finished kitchen, all I wanna do these days is bake… which also means I’ve been sloooowly perfecting this recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies. Today is also the Blog Hop Cookie Swap, so I teamed up with 14 other bloggers to share our favorite cookie recipes today! Last year I shared a more complicated Greek cookie recipe, so this time I’m switching it up with a tried and true classic.
I was a bit hesitant to share this recipe since it’s so basic and it seems like everyone and their mom has the “best” chocolate chip cookie recipe. But here’s the thing: I’ve made this recipe for years and years and it never, ever let’s me down. It’s adapted from my faithful copy of The Joy of Cooking, with a few tweaks here and there that I’ve adjusted over the years. In fact, when you open my copy of that ubiquitous cookbook, it opens directly to the classic chocolate chip cookie recipe page!
My Go-To Recipe for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup and 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips the milk chocolate chips from Ghirardelli are my absolute favorite
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375° and line cookie sheets with silicone baking mats (I use these affordable ones).
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda, then set aside. Next, cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar in a stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Once well combined, beat in egg, salt, and vanilla extract. Slowly mix in the flour mixture until well blended and smooth. Then add the chocolate chips. If you’d like, you can add nuts at this point, too.
- Once everything is combined, get 2 spoons to drop the dough onto the baking sheets. To do this, scoop a heaping amount with one spoon and use the second spoon to ‘drop’ the dough onto the baking mat. Keep about 2″ between each ball of dough. I like really BIG cookies, so I use a big spoon… but you can make these whatever size you like. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
- Before sliding the cookies into the oven, sprinkle the top of each with a pinch of sea salt flakes. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown. Remove them from the oven and let stand for 2 minutes while they firm up. After that, transfer to a rack to cool… and then transfer to your belly!
A note on ingredients
To me, what makes this recipe so special are the ingredients. I prefer these milk chocolate chips from Ghirardelli for their smooth, ooey-gooey meltiness. I also make sure to purchase the best possible butter and vanilla extract. As for sea salt, you can never go wrong with Maldon flakes! I’m a self-declared salt addict, so this addition to my cookies makes all the difference in the world.
So, what do you think? Are you on team dark or milk chocolate when it comes to chocolate chip cookies? Let me know which one you choose when you try this recipe!