I know my posting schedule has been a bit… unpredictable this week. I’m really been struggling to focus, to be honest, but after taking yesterday off for my birthday, I feel a bit more grounded. I stepped away from the news for a full day and it really helped my mental health. As I brainstorm ways to help both my household and yours through this scary coronavirus outbreak, I realized that it’s inappropriate to ask people to go to the hardware store for supplies for projects. And it’s irresponsible to order superfluous things online when that just puts mail carriers at greater risk. So with that in mind, Sean and I sat down and brainstormed this list of 30 free home improvement projects to do at home with things you probably have on hand!
Need a Temporary Distraction? Try These Free Home Improvement Projects
I am definitely one of those people who functions best when I have an outlet for my stress. I toooootally stress clean! Right now, I feel like we could all use at least a small distraction, even if that’s one hour spent doing one of these free home improvement project ideas. I hope this list helps you feel a little bit more grounded and comfortable in your home:
- Wash your windows
- Patch and holes and touch up your walls
- Plan your veggie garden — if you’re in the Pacific Northwest, check out my tips!
- Organize your closet — SO many suggestions and inspiration for this in this post.
- Rearrange your living room
- Overdye some napkins
- Take down all of your curtains and wash them
- Wash all of your door knobs and hardware
- Organize your kitchen and pantry — I shared how ours is organized here.
- Run a cleaning cycle on your washing machine
- Clean your dryer vent
- Freshen the air with stovetop potpourri
- Propagate cuttings of your houseplants
- Clean up your outdoor space – this can mean sweeping up leaves, arranging outdoor furniture… basically just get it ready so that you can sit out there in the sun as soon as possible (even with a coat on!).
- Air out your house, even just for an hour
- Vacuum your couch and alllll if it’s nooks and crannies
- Wash decorative pillow covers and throws — just make sure you read the labels to know if you can machine wash or hand wash!
- Ice dye a throw
- Take your rugs outside and shake them out or drape them over a railing and hit them with a broom to release dust.
- Re-arrange your art — just last week I shared tips on displaying art in a small space. Check them out!
- Dust overhead light fixtures
- Wipe down your kitchen cabinets
- Organize your cords & bundle them so they are less visible
- Start a compost pile
- Wash your shower curtain & scrub the liner
- Rearrange your bookshelves — check out my video for inspiration!
- Forage in your yard and make a flower arrangement
- Update your existing garden pots with paint
- Paint a piece of furniture
- Organize your mudroom or entryway area
If you have any ideas for free home improvement projects to add to this list, leave a comment and let me know!