The other night I was chatting with my friend Kate from Drinking with Chickens about a new outdoor space she was working on. Mostly we were trying to figure out her outdoor rug situation… when it dawned on me that I haven’t shared best best sources for them on the blog! Literally, I couldn’t remember if I had written a post dedicated to this topic, so I searched… and nope! So here we are… I scoured tons of my favorite outdoor decor sources to find the best affordable outdoor rugs for your deck or patio!
My Picks for the Best Budget-Friendly Outdoor Rugs
First, let’s define ‘budget-friendly.’ Back when I designed rugs, we based the pricing off of a 5×7 because that was usually the most popular size and one that most people needed. For this post, my goal was to keep all of the options below $200 for a 5×7 or 5×8-ish. The size wiggles a little by retailer, but for the most part the sizing is consistent. Let’s dig into my picks for stylish and affordable outdoor rugs for your deck, patio or balcony!
Neutral patterned outdoor rugs
- Pasadena Indoor / Outdoor Rug
- Navy Blue Cortes Indoor Outdoor Area Rug
- Gray And Cream Geometric Hilo Indoor Outdoor Rug
- Black Graphic Woven Emerson Indoor Outdoor Area Rug
- Nena Reversible Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Ibina Outdoor Rug, Tan
- Mod Desert Outdoor Rug
- Elche Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Orla Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Mala Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Blue And White Lattice Lahana Indoor Outdoor Rug
- Villa Cavallo Charcoal Indoor Outdoor Rug
Colorful patterned outdoor rugs
- Colorblock Outdoor Rug
- Orange Medallion Reversible Indoor Outdoor Rio Floor Mat
- Odessa Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Big Sur Indoor / Outdoor Rug
- Tillie Reversible Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Jess Outdoor Rug, Bright Yellow
- Tonal Border Outdoor Rug
- Cozumel Indoor/Outdoor Rug
- Dash and Dot Outdoor Rug Blue
- Big Sur Indoor / Outdoor Rug
- Dart Terracotta and Natural Diamond Indoor-Outdoor Dhurrie Rug — this is the one we have now and I really love it! Stay tuned for an update about our backyard soon to see the rest of this space.
- Ombre Outdoor Rug Orange
What to look for when shopping for outdoor rugs
Given my rug design experience, I wanted to share some tips for what to look for when buying an outdoor rug for your deck or patio, too. Here are a few suggestions:
- Materials matter — So many retailers are manufacturing rugs with recycled materials like polypropylene from water bottles. Personally, I’ve found that those ones last longer and are more durable because, duh, they’re made of a material that takes forever to decompose! If you’re looking for longevity, definitely find a recycled plastic outdoor rug. They are also easy to care for because they can be hosed down as needed.
- Softness — Speaking of materials, they can play a big role in how soft a rug is to walk on. If you want something you’ll love to be barefoot on, wool is the best bet. But keep in mind that you’ll need to care for it differently by taking it indoors during the rain and winter months so it doesn’t mildew.
- Climate — Here in Seattle, we have to store our outdoor furniture, decor, and rugs for the winter because the rain will cause moss and mildew to grow. For this reason, we’ve swapped in pieces that are made of more rain-friendly materials (teak furniture, recycled plastic rugs, powder coated chairs, etc). When shopping, evaluate your weather and buy accordingly.
- Construction — when you select an outdoor rug, I also recommend looking at how it is made. If it is woven, that is usually a bit more lenient in terms of care. Tufted rugs will require more maintenance because the texture will capture debris that you’ll need to vacuum.
I hope you found this post on stylish and affordable outdoor rugs helpful!
If you need more outdoor decor and furniture inspiration, check out these posts:
- 7 Easy Ways to Maximize Your Outdoor Decor on a Budget
- My Favorite Sources to Shop for Chic Outdoor Furniture & Decor
- Affordable Outdoor Side Tables ($200 and under!)
- My Ultimate Outdoor String Lights Round Up