If we’ve learned anything from the past two years of living in a pandemic, it is that self-care is still a top priority as we head full force into 2022. Today, stress and tension are at an all-time high, and taking time for oneself can easily be put on the back burner. I realized recently just how much I had let go of my self-care routines so I’ve been working to get back into them… which is why I asked Sean for the Nayoya acupressure mat for Christmas! I’ve become all but obsessed with it and wanted to share the benefits of using an acupressure mat, plus my thoughts on the Nayoya mat specifically in case you’ve been curious about using one!
What is an Acupressure Mat?
Acupressure dates back as far as 2000 B.C. and today the remedies are still highly valued when it comes to pain relief and overall body rejuvenation. Enter the acupressure mat – the modern, trendy self-care item you never knew you needed. I love it because you can basically get all the benefits of an acupressure session in the comfort of your own home.
If you’ve never heard of an acupressure mat, let me let you in on this wonder product. An acupressure mat is designed to provide the same results as a traditional acupressure massage. They focus on releasing blocked chi (energy) throughout the body resulting in reduced pain and discomfort.
An acupressure mat is made of several hundred plastic points that cover the entirety of the mat. These points are designed to apply pressure to many acupressure points in your body, specifically your back and feet. Acupressure mats are said to help alleviate back pain, headaches, and deliver all-around positive effects on your body’s energy levels and stress. For me, it’s a daily ritual that helps me unwind and loosen up tight muscles.
What Are the Benefits of Lying on an Acupressure Mat?
There are many benefits associated with the use of acupressure mats. Some of the most important acupressure mat benefits include:
- Pain Relief
- Chronic Pain Management
- Endorphin Release
- Improves Sleep
- Headache + Migraine Relief
- Muscle Relaxation
Additional acupressure mat benefits have more to do with the ease of use of the product versus its direct benefits. While physical benefits are generally the most important, understanding the impact this mat has on your finances, lifestyle, and wellness is equally important.
Some people may choose acupressure mats because they are non-invasive and can be tried without risks involved (especially if you’re like me and still trying to minimize your exposure to COVID). Others may find their low investment cost appealing versus other therapy options or constantly going for acupressure massages. For example, the Naoyaya acupressure mat that I use is less than $50. Furthermore, having an acupressure mat at home means you can manage your own treatment long-term which is great for more flexible lifestyles like ours!
Most acupressure mats are compact, portable, and the perfect tool for alleviating your aches, pains, and stressors.
After sharing my acupuncture mat use on Instagram Stories, I got a few questions and wanted to take some time to answer them a bit more thoroughly today!
How Long Should I Lay on an Acupressure Mat?
To get the most out of your acupressure mat, you need to make sure you are using it properly. My mat came with a set of directions, so I started there. For maximum acupressure mat benefits, here are some tips for using your mat:
- Beginners should avoid laying directly on the acupressure mat with bare skin until they get used to the sensation of the spikes. Over time you can adjust accordingly as you become more accustomed to your mat. Something that helped me was to lean against the mat while sitting on the couch so my full body weight wasn’t pressing onto the plastic spikes.
- Breathe deep and breathe slowly so you can get the most out of your acupressure mat. A mediation app helps, too!
- Acupressure mats are not intended to be slept on and your time spent on them should be limited to no more than 30 minutes. I also started off with smaller periods of time once I was ready to lay on it with bare skin. So 5 minutes to start and then increasing from there.
Get maximum benefits from your acupressure mat by spending 10 to 20 minutes on it, at a time, daily. Using your mat consistently is important to get the most out of it. It can take some getting used to, but if you stick with it, your acupressure mat will work wonders for you!
How to Use an Acupressure Mat
Ready to get to know your acupressure mat? Using your mat properly is important so that you can get all the benefits they have to offer. Grab your mat and try these tips for an awesome acupressure experience:
- Choose a surface to put it on. Try laying it out on a bed or a sofa if you are new to your mat. More experienced users may opt to move their mat onto the floor.
- Start with a layer between you and your mat. The spikes can be overwhelming when you are starting out. Try using a layer of fabric or wearing clothing the first few times you use your mat. While the best results come from bare skin directly touching your acupressure mat, it takes some time to build-up to the sensations.
- Lay onto your mat slowly. Keep your weight evenly distributed across your mat to avoid injury.
- Reposition your body carefully. Moving around too quickly can cause discomfort or scratches from the spikes on the mat.
- Consistency is key. These mats take time to work for most people. Sticking with it and using it daily will help you get the most out of your mat. I’ve been using mine consistently for a while now and absolutely love love love it.
My Experience: Nayoya Acupressure Mat Review
I first learned about acupressure mats when Grace Atwood shared her love of it. Grace always shared the best stuff and has never steered me wrong, so I’ve had my heart set on getting one for a while… and just never got around to it. Sean and I use holiday gift giving as a time to get each other things that we may not ordinarily get for ourselves, which is why he treated me to the Nayoya mat.
I don’t have a ton of experience with other brands, but I am really happy with the Naoyaya acupressure mat. It’s really well-made and sturdy — and comes in a pretty shade of green that totally complements our decor. I also like that it comes with a pillow for my neck, making it a lot more comfortable to lay on the floor with.
I store my mat in the box it came in when it’s not in use. The mat wraps around the pillow, so it’s pretty compact, too!
Plus, at under $50, it isn’t a huge investment in helping me to relax and make more time for myself and my well-being. I’m a creature of habit and love a good routine, so I’ve even found that I look forward to my daily acupressure mat time. It’s a great way to decompress after a long day!
Have you ever tried an acupressure mat? These modern devices may be exactly what people need to alleviate their aches, pains, and stressors without investing too much time or money elsewhere. Acupressure mats allow you to be in control of your wellness and find time for self-care and relaxation through one of the most ancient techniques.
Are you curious about the benefits of an acupressure mat? Give the Nayoya acupressure mat a try and let me know what you think of your experience!