This is a different type of post that what I typically share here on the blog. But sometimes I discover a hack that is just too good not to share. And this definitely counts — especially if you are trying to reduce food waste like we are. If you love avocados, but hate how short the window of ripeness is… this is for you. Here’s why you should store your avocados in water! Yup, you heard me correctly. Prepare to be amazed.
How To Always Have Ripe Avocados On Hand — Store Avocados in Water!
I wish I could take credit for discovering this storage hack for avocados, but I can’t! It’s something I saw making the rounds over on TikTok and had to try myself… and it works! And it’s insanely easy to do. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Let your avocado ripen to your desired amount on the counter (or quicken the ripening by placing in a paper bag)
- Step 2: Put the ripe avocados in a glass jar and fill with cool water. A wide mouth Mason jar is perfect for this and usually fits 2 avocados. Be sure that they are fully submerged in the water (they’ll float a little).
- Step 3: Seal with the lid and put in the fridge.
… and that’s it!
You’re probably wondering how long these avocados last in the fridge. I’ve found that mine can last anywhere from a week to 9-10 days. And the results consistently yield perfect ripe, creamy, delicious avocados for guacamole, salads, sandwiches, etc. Isn’t that absolutely amazing??
Why does storing avocados in water work?
Basically, avocados turn brown because they are exposed to oxygen in the air. And they oxidize faster than other produce because of their chemical composition, apparently! But when you store an avocado in water, the flesh is protected by the water from the oxygen. Thus, it doesn’t oxidize!
Why I love this avocado in water hack SO much:
- You don’t need anything special — literally just use any jar!
- It works on uncut avocados. I’ve tried it on cut avocados and didn’t love the results because they got a little slimy.
- It’s perfect if you live far from a grocery store (like us), if you don’t go grocery shopping frequently, or like to buy in bulk.
- Avocados are expensive and I hate food waste!
Tell me… have you tried storing avocados in water?? I’d love to know if it’s worked for you!
Also, let me know what you think of this type of post. I’d love share more of the funny little hacks that help to make daily life easier if you’re interested!