Have you heard of the coastal grandma trend? It is the aesthetic for the summer! While mostly focused on fashion and apparel right now, I am starting to see the coastal grandmother look play out in home decor as well — and one such place is the addition of scalloped edges! From furniture to bedding to tabletop pieces, I’m seeing this charming decor detail across the board. Here’s a few fun ways to bring this chic and refreshingly preppy vibe into your home this year.
Image source: Schoolhouse
Scalloped edge home decor — get the look:
Mirrors and picture frames are the perfect way to subtly incorporate this trend… especially in the ultimate coastal grandma material: rattan!
- Hayli scallop mirror
- Julia Berolzheimer Lily Scalloped Metal Tole Planters
- Gillian Scalloped Bathroom Accessories
- Scallop Basket
- Scalloped Wall Mirror
- Wicker Scalloped Gallery Frame
- Artifacts Rattan Scallop Collection Rectangular Storage Basket in White Wash
- Bergs Palace Pot + Saucer
- Scalloped lacquer serving tray
- Scallop Vase/Pen Holder
- Scalloped Rattan Frame
- Scalloped Cement Pot
Coastal Grandmother Decor Trend: Get The Look With Scallop Design Details
What is coastal grandmother?
Before we dig in, let’s define what this 2022 home decor trend actually is. As with most trends these days, it was coined on Tiktok by creator Lex Nicoleta who explains that a coastal grandmother is anyone who “loves Nancy Meyers movies, coastal vibes, recipes and cooking, Ina Garten and cozy interiors.”
So the vibe is very much inspired by the laidback aesthetic of Diane Keaton or maybe even Meg Ryan in You’ve Got Mail (one of my all time favorite movies). Think breezy linen layers, cozy cashmere, luxe yet comfortable… and with a strong focus on escapism into a gorgeous garden or oceanfront property.
How is coastal grandmother translated into home decor?
The key to this home decor trend is layering comfortable textures and materials with subtle sophisticated elements. For example, an overstuffed white sofa paired with super soft throws, organic textured decorative objects and lighting, and textiles in muted neutrals. And don’t forget the fresh flowers!
One of the easiest ways to dabble in the coastal grandmother home decor trend is with my personal favorite design detail: scalloped edges! Here are some pieces to get you inspired:
Scalloped tabletop decor and table linens — get the look:
Nothing is sweeter and more charming that scalloped table linens. NOTHING! While they generally require upkeep, like ironing, it’s so worth it for the additional texture on the table.
- Julia Berolzheimer Lily Scalloped Party Bucket
- Pink Clay & 100% French Flax Linen Scalloped Napkins
- Farmhouse Pottery Petite Gingham Scalloped Napkins
- Moda Domus Set-Of-Four Scalloped Linen Cocktail Napkins
- Isadora Place Mat
- Scallop Trim Napkin Set of 4
- Scalloped Alabaster Serving Board
- Scallop Placemats and Napkins light blue
- Sage Scalloped Solid Color Tablecloth
- Golden Rabbit Green Scallop Enamel Salad Plates – Set of 4
- Maisie Table Linens
- Savannah Gardens Napkins, Set of 4
Scalloped lighting and lamps — get the look:
Lighting is always a key element when designing a space and I love how the scalloped details work with so many different shapes — especially the array of flush mount lighting!
- Suzette Ceiling Mount
- Scalloped Seagrass Lamp Shade
- Ariel Fluted Marble Flush Mount Light
- Duzy handmade scallop shape lamp shade
- Scalloped Metal Flushmount
- Scallop Pendant
- Parasol Rattan Table Lamp
- Three-Tiered Scalloped Capiz 3-Light Pendant
- Scalloped Lamp Shade
- Duzy handmade light burlap lamp shade
- Christie Pendant Light
- Scalloped Semi-Flush Mount Ceiling Light Brass
Scalloped pillows, bedding, bath linens, and rugs — get the look:
This home decor trend lends itself perfectly to textiles like decorative pillows, rugs and bedding. I love that it’s just one more way to add texture to your bed or bath!
- Julia Berolzheimer Organic Bath Mat
- 3-Pc Double Scallop Towel Set, Lilac
- Scalloped Edge Quilt
- Julia Berolzheimer Beau Scallop Pickstitch Cotton Quilt
- Carly Home Paprika Scalloped Pillow
- French Blue Scallop Edge Jute Rug
- Hand-tufted scallop rug
- Cherie scalloped duvet cover
- Scallop Trim Pillow in Lilac
- Celerie Kemble + Hamburg House Green Scallop Queen Duvet Cover
- Heather Taylor Home Organic Scallop Edge Bath Mat
- Embroidered scallop pillow
Scalloped furniture — get the look:
- Scalloped stand
- Ceceila Velvet Upholstered Panel Headboard
- Hark lacquered wood lateral file cabinet
- Jonathan Adler Flow cocktail table
- Misha Scalloped Base Seagrass Table
- Julia Berolzheimer Eloise Demilune Scalloped Etagere
- John-Richard Modern Classic Scalloped Mirrored Top Gold Frame Drink Table
- Scalloped Ceramic Side Table
- Sara French Country Grey Upholstered Brown Wood Bedroom Bench
- Green Mini Curvy Table
- Ivy Cocktail Ottoman, Harbor Blue Velvet
- June Side Table
So what do you think of the coastal grandma and scalloped edge decor trend??