Time flies, but most especially when you’re traveling. Last month I hopped on a plane and landed in Amsterdam, one of the most romantically magical cities in which I’ve spent time. I just loved the city: the design scene, the twinkly lights, the water… the cheese. My trip came at the perfect time for me personally. I was craving some time away from the desk and computer, while also desperately needing a change of pace. Heck, I was even craving cooler, more autumnal weather. I’ve been back for a little over a month and it’s taken me this long to get my act together, but here are some of my favorite moments from the trip.
We stayed in the Centraal Station area, basically a stone’s throw from the red light district. I was actually shocked by how quiet it was in the apartment despite the crowds outside. We rented 2 apartments through Airbnb with my most favorite being the second one. Located on Amsterdam’s oldest canal, the apartment had floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the water. The afternoon light was just pure magic.
This chair was basically my happy place during the entire trip. I sipped wine here, journaled here, watched the sun set from here. I actually feel a visceral longing for this corner.
I can’t even really explain what it’s like to wake up in a location like this. The air was cool and brisk, the sun warm on my face.Then, there is the Dutch food… Apple pies, croissants, piles of cheese and meats. Oh, and pancakes.
We ate really well while traveling through Amsterdam, but here are few favorites:
- Latei – the best apple pie I have ever eaten in my life + they sell vintage pieces
- Hannekes Boom – the perfect beer, cheese, and meat combo + tons of outdoor seating
- Upstairs Pannenkoeken – so good we went twice!
- Stach – super adorable sweets and treats with great packaging (more on that to come)
- Brouwerij de Prael – a really awesome brewery with equally delicious food. Be sure to order the bitterballen (fried balls of gravy).
- Brouwerij ‘t IJ – fantastic beers and delicious sausages and cheese (try the ossenworst, I swear it’s amazing).
The shopping waas also pretty damn good. Two incredible districts include Haarlemmerstraat in the Jordaan district and the Nine Streets. Some favorite shops:
- Blom & Blom
- Tenue de Nîmes
- Dille & Kamille
- HEMA – think of this as the Dutch version of Muji, except brighter and happier.
- Skins – all the fancy European beauty you could dream of.
- &Klevering – I got a rainbow Noodle!
- Acne Studios – I had a moment… and purchased some really gorgeous shoes.
Some other fun things to check out:
- Poezenboot – basically a cat shelter on a house boat!
- KattenKabinet – cat museum!
- Rijksmuseum – gorgeous artwork including Rembrandt and Van Gogh.
- Albert Cuyp Market – an open air market, perfect for buying cheese and eating freshly made stroofwafels.
- Noordermarkt – some of the best vintage shopping I’ve ever experienced… I even bought a rug!
- canal cruise – I highly recommend selecting an open-air tour boat so you can explore the city via water.
We were in Amsterdam for 10 full days, so this list barely scratches the surface of what we saw, ate, and did. If you’re planning a trip any time soon, I highly recommend going!
photography by Jojotastic