This post is sponsored by Truvia. All opinions are my own and always will be! Thanks for supporting content that keeps Jojotastic going.
Summer, summer timeeee, can you hear me? The sun seems to have (finally) broken through here in Seattle, so we’re taking every opportunity possible to eat outside and enjoy our new deck furniture. Today I partnered with Truvia to share my favorite appetizer recipe that is super easy to make and will totally delight any summertime guests you have: Grilled Halloumi Bites!
This recipe is a bit of an homage to my Greek heritage. If you’re unfamiliar with it, halloumi is a semi-hard, unripened brined cheese that is made of a mix of goat and sheep milk. The taste is a bit salty and very savory, which is why I love it paired with sweeter foods like watermelon and Truvia Nectar. Typically, you’d see this dish with honey, but I swapped in Truvia Nectar which is a reduced-calorie way to enjoy honey. It has 50% fewer calories per serving than sugar — plus, it’s twice as sweet as honey, so you only need half as much! Sweet mint and earthy pistachios add a little extra oomph to the bite.
When grilling season rolls around, we always start off our meals with a grilled halloumi appetizer because it’s so easy to make while you wait for the grill to get hotter for your actual dinner. I’m usually too impatient to wait for dinner, so a snack is very necessary.
Grilled Halloumi Watermelon Bites with Pistachios & Mint
- 1 lb halloumi
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- drizzle of Truvia Nectar
- coarsely chopped pistachios for garnish
- sweet mint for garnish
- Heat up your grill to medium heat. Cut the watermelon into wedges and coarsely chop pistachios while the grill heats up.
- Slice the halloumi into small rectangles and place on grill. Grill for 2-3 minutes or until visible grill marks appear on the underside, then flip. Grill for 2-3 more minutes and place on top of a watermelon wedge.
- Top with sprig of mint and pistachios. Then drizzle Truvia Nectar over the entire plate.
These sweet and savory bites are a great appetizer to serve up for your next BBQ and will definitely have your guests asking for the recipe!
So what do you think of our halloumi bites?? Let us know what you think in a comment! We hope your summer is off to a great start!
Photography & styling by Jojotastic.
Get more recipes here!