Over the weekend, I checked Facebook and it alerted me to the fact that I’ve owned #mytinybungalow for TWO years. Wow. Aside from all the clichés about where time has gone, it’s flown by, etc etc, I can’t help but feel extremely sentimental over my two year homeownership anniversary. I’ve never had the opportunity to put this much of myself into a space and make it utterly, completely my own. Now that Sean has moved in with me (almost a year there, too!), the bungalow is even more meaningful. It’s rapidly become our home, our tiny shitshow, our fun project that is the gateway to even more adventures for us.
The year started off auspiciously enough. We finished the bedroom renovation and it officially became my favorite room in the entire house. During this project, I also learned so much about my house — both good and bad!
On a whim, I decided to dig up half of the front yard for a veggie garden, which also led to flower boxes. And then came the chickens!
I’ve always wanted chickens, so this year I plan to get a bigger coop so I can have MORE! And, hopefully, no more accidental roosters this year.
Last year I started a check list of what had been done and what was left to do. Upon review of that list, I feel SO behind. Breaking my leg did not help much in the way of finishing renovations, but 2018 is gonna be a BIG year — I can feel it!
Rooms to be renovated:
- living room – done!
- dining room – done!
- bedroom – done!
- kitchen – this year, baby! stay tuned for more.
- bathroom – we’re thinking of doing this at the same time as the kitchen.
- chickens — check, but now I want a new coop so I can get even more ladies.
- veggie garden — check!
- refinish the deck – done!
- new roof – done!
- paint front door – done!
- paint french doors – done!
- new shed — done!
- strip, prime, and paint exterior trim – this summer, for real this time.
- refinish front porch
- new mailbox
- chain link fence removal/replacement
- new privacy fence in the backyard
- new (more visible) house numbers — purchased, not yet installed.
- landscaping: planter boxes in the front, veggie garden in the back. Maybe even some planter boxes in the parking strip!
As you can tell, I have a very ambitious year ahead of me for renovations, but I’m feeling good (physically, too) and just want to finish the house.
If you’re new to the blog, you can catch up on my story of homeownership with these posts:
- 1 year anniversary of homeownership + visual diary
- essentials for the first-time homeowner + what I’ve learned after 6 months
- my second month of homeownership
- thoughts on my first month of homeownership
- house hunting, an update!
- omg I’m house hunting
Thank you guys SO much for following along on my journey. You are a constant source of inspiration and advice!
Here’s to another year!